the couch

becoz it all becomes clear here!

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Watching a movie, from behind ‘bars’…

Here I am at the theatre hall.

Popcorn in one hand, hotdog in other hand. Soda in soda-holder. And pissed-off chick in the next seat.

It’s not my fault I’m late. Come on!

Being a ‘kawa’ Kenyan I blame it on the jam, the mats, jobo, the rain, the cops, anything that’s blame-able, just not me.

And anyway, the movie hasn’t started yet. Get over it.

So here I am about to watch a movie I’ve never heard of. Never seen a poster of. Never read a synopsis of. For the second time (the first was when we watched “Rollerball” with the boys. Never forgiven that boy since), I’m about to watch a movie I have no inkling of a clue called an idea about.

Besides, it’s the chick who picked it so it can’t be that bad. She usually picks “pinky” movies. Yaani, girly girly, romantic movies about high school teens with supercharged hormones. (jeez, I need a new movie mate). Basically movies whose main colour scheme is pink. They are boring but bearable.

So I’m seated here prepared to get bored out of my wits by this movie. It’s called ‘Grudge 2”. Never even heard of or knew there was ‘1’. My popcorn-filled brain, with kidogo space left for thinking about my fly (pissed) ‘mama’, thinks it’s a movie about a teenie in some Ivy League campus who was dumped and now holds a grudge.

How wrong a synopsis.

The first logo appears on screen with some deep bassed soundtrack that has me thinking. But it’s the next logo that gets me REALLY thinking.

It’s opens on a keyhole. Camera peers into the keyhole and a skull jumps into view. Popcorn flies about. Then the name “Ghosthouse Production” appears. A chill runs up or down (who cares) my spine.

Ghost what?

I’m still drunk with popcorn, but not too drunk coz I look at my mate. I give her the what-crap-movie-is-this look.

She doesn’t answer. Instead she stares straight ahead.

Opening scene.

A ‘zombie-like’ lady is making burnt bacon (or something) for a bitching husband. She serves him the bacon. He continues bitching. She walks behind him. Looks at her pan. He bitches. She looks at her pan. He bitches. She looooooks at her pan. He bit__

She turns slowly. Pours the contents, which is hot ‘Elianto’, on the husband’s head and hits a ‘home run’.

TING!

Husband is on the floor giving his last kicks. Wife is seated enjoying the breakfast. Bila feelings.

It’s now that I really look at the chick. This time I voice my concern.

What’s this?

“I don’t know. Si you picked it.”

(In mother-tongue) I almost knock her senseless.

It’s then that I understand why the movie hall is empty. Everyone, except me, knew what “Grudge” is all about.

You can ask movie buff (?) or couch ‘tato to write the synopsis because I still can’t tell what else went on in that movie. I watched it safely from behind my fingers. Nusu nusu.

The only thing I heard throughout were mournful screams, shrill screams (a higher percentage from my companion) and a statement that made my evening.

“I have a headache.”

‘Mama’ kumbe is scared shitless too. Mpaka kichwa inauma.

Epilogue.
Movie ended but not my popcorns. There was nothing to enjoy. And I peed most of my soda.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

I don’t like horrors. Never have. Never will. I’m a wimp like that. I get scared like fifty tois. And since I have an active imagination my thoughts are very disturbing. Not to mention the dreams. And I will never ever, EVER, go watch a movie I don’t know about again. Ama one she has chosen.

ZIIII!

29 Comments:

  • At 2:04 AM, Blogger Nakeel said…

    Yipee Fao..

    Woiye a guy I totally feel your pain. I think we should partner up and I be chosing for you am soo good at doing it ask Shiro..

     
  • At 2:07 AM, Blogger Unyc said…

    U hv such an interesting life modoathii....lol.....

    I love horror movies, n yes lk ur gal never tell whoever is accompanying me, we r going 2 watch 1. I make sure i go mapema n buy the ticos so that when they come we just buy popcorn, soda...wherever n head 2 the theatre. U discover its a horror movie later but u cant run. heheee..
    I enjoyed Grudge.

     
  • At 2:27 AM, Blogger Girl in the Meadow said…

    LOOOOOOOOL.....

    ATI WHAT?

    You have made my day Mzeiya. Yaani you deserve your money back.

    I dont watch horror movies too. I hate them.

    But i do like Teen Movies; White chicks at all...he he he he

    So can we be movie mates as Nakeel proposed?

     
  • At 2:59 AM, Blogger modoathii said…

    unyc, you're alone. how can you enjoy the grudge? eeesh!

    nakeel and shiroh, i'm easy. the deal is mchague movie poa. nakeel, kazi kwako. and you tell me in advance so i can read and learn everything about it.

     
  • At 3:44 AM, Blogger Kenyanchick said…

    I'm with you Modoathii: no horror for me. Ever.

    I just read your "Overboard" post. Come join me on the bridge: the view from here is incredible and there's no chance of falling over.

     
  • At 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL...LMAO!!!

    And here I was ready to recommend Saw 3. Vile I hear peeps in some cinemas in Europe were being treated for panic attacks after the movie and some were literally running out of the cinema hall.

    I too have come to hate horror movies....unless the person I am watching with is not a wimp and cuddles me when I am scared *wink wink*

     
  • At 5:11 AM, Blogger egm said…

    I don’t like horrors. Never have. Never will. I’m a wimp like that. I get scared like fifty tois. And since I have an active imagination my thoughts are very disturbing. Not to mention the dreams.

    That there describes me to a T. Horrors for me are a NO-NO.

    As for watching movies I know nothing about, that's never going to happen either. If I have not read about it or seen its trailer, I am not watching it. No negotiatons.

    Tuko pamoja!

     
  • At 5:53 AM, Blogger Jadekitten said…

    Eish. Those mambo's of ati 'let the movie be a surprise', mimi sitaki. I have to have the full 411, read:trailers, researched on the net, previews et al. Kila kitu.

    Which is the reason the peeps (kina Vagabond) who tried getting me to watch 'The Ring' and sijui 'The Village' didn't succeed. Ati si horror sana. There is no horror sana na horror kidogo. NO HORRORS!!!

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My dear.. I dont touch horrors. Sorry!

    Cant stand them one bit. I watched Exorcist and couldnt sleep for a week so I wachad torturing myself!

    :)

     
  • At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Modo, you disappoint me! I watch horrors like I am being paid! I can't wait for Hostel 2 to come out! Halafu I have to watch Saw 3!
    When I am in town next we are going for a horror flick, on me!

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger modoathii said…

    aco, hostel isn't a horror. mongos visiting an eastern europe country and getting butchered isn't a horror. and i must say, too few (the ones we saw) were butchered.

    to me horror is those supernatural things. that's what worries me. a guy hacking another joint by joint isn't horror, it's gory yes, but i can eat the popcorn. hii maghost ghost ndio shida msee.

    so kama ina ma-spirit other than vodka, and a mathe chanting, other than singing karaoke, unaenda alone.

    jade, kwanza, village was about a nitwit in a suit. no horror there. monster house was even more scary. na ni cartoon.

    mocha, you'll cuddle yourself. mimi nitakuwa nje na watchie.

    KC, will you give me ear mufflers so i don't hear the singing?

     
  • At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Modo we unapropaganda mob sana ati through your fingers...PMSL!! Lakini those horrors are in the same category as the darnd roaches in my book, so me am just waitin 4 "Accepted" to drop.
    Yani ulifikanga blog yangu manze fiti,fiti...nilishtuka..

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Princess said…

    I have never been into horror movies either.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (jeez, I need a new movie mate).

    That's the part i have read, so -

    "Me!! Me!! Me!!".

    I dont do, "Aaarrghhhh!". I do, hiuuuuuu...hiya! and Hahahahs. So. Do I qualify.

    PS: I presume all you want is a movie mate, all costs catered for. I await confirmation.

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm a equal opportunity employer of all spirits; the ones that come out of a bottle and into a glass and the ones that jump out of a bottle and bite your ass....well, the latter only when it's a movie.

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Girl next door said…

    Your movie experience is so entertaining! I'm with you on horror movies; I never watch those things. Real life is scary enough....

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger zahara said…

    Horrors are the reason I cant sleep in a totally dark room alone. When I was 15yrs I'd watch them like I was being paid. From vampires, warewolves, blood thirsty cannibals etc I loved them. Then one day...WHAM! I couldn't watch them alone. Then WHAM WHAM!I couldn't be alone in my bedroom. Then WHAM WHAM WHAM and a vampire bite later, I couldn't sleep without music and lights. I think I need deliverance. Help me Jesus!

     
  • At 12:58 AM, Blogger Klara said…

    Damn! I also don't like horror movies!espec the panic & horror dreams they cause afterwards, I could never pay to watch horror!No!Never!
    an am lucky coz I always tend 2 search 4 its synopis 1st, atleast so am prepared!!Huh!
    Thanks 4 hittin by my post!!

     
  • At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jade, ati movie gani hiyo????

    I used to get nightmares from HARDY BOYS-the book- beat that for wimpy) but I can brace myself for the likes of the Exorcism of Emily Rose(Jade, was it this one??)

    Horrors just don't do it for me either....gimme 'Lord of the Rings'...ama an easy movie like 'Good Will Hunting', or a truly great one like 'Shawshank Redemption'(seen it more times than I can count) and we'll be pals forever.

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    should i watch a horror movie then am required as a matter of principle take the movie wather with me plus rosary and bible and pray over and over again asking FOR PROTECTION.its not funy the only spirits i like are the ones inducing inebrity.
    Nakeel, shiroh am with you though i like action movies esp the ones that they fight with swords. Sorry did i mention i enjoy reruns of Rambo, Jet Li and Jackie Chan just to name but a few.

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Don_quixote said…

    LOL pole, unlike you i try very hard to make sure i dont have to sit thro a teen movie or some thing the likes of "closer" yuck and double gag. Grudge was nice SA 3 is out and i cant wait.

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Don_quixote said…

    **SAW 3

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger Iwaya said…

    clearly BLOGGER IS THERAPY FOR MILLIONS, DON'T LEAVE THE COUCH!!!!

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger ~ScotchBiscuits~ said…

    shiver runs down the spine. not that it matters.
    just tryna be a smart ass.
    horrors are good when there's a whole bunch of you non horror watching people watching it together.

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger mama shady said…

    heh!ive chekad quite thoroughly!

     
  • At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey maybe that is what the mama wants to do to you... you know, poor hot elianto over your head for all the bitching.. lol...aki you never know this things.. learn to take a hint.

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mind if you change your font or layout of spacing in your post itd tiring if not irritating to read it !!!
    infact to be honest i cant tell one post from another looks like one long boring story ..

    mbuyus..

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger modoathii said…

    wachira bahati tu ndio unayo mbaya. i guess uta-have tu kuendelea kuboeka. mpaka siku ile nita-make heads or tails of this blogosphere...mi bado ni computer idiot.

    hii huni-bore daily. but tuta-do? uta-do?

     
  • At 10:36 PM, Blogger Komi said…

    I love your skill and how you put the experience. Esp the “I have a headache.” and how it made you feel ha.

    I only watch horrors with my bros in the house through my fingers or just put a pillow and listen. I still scream and beg one of my bros to take the next bed...after checking all the rooms, under the beds and the wardrobes.

    I can never ever watch one on big screen-NEVER!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home