the couch

becoz it all becomes clear here!

Friday, January 19, 2007

BOOGIE WONDERLAND!

Note: all these clubs were visited on different nights. And Iwaya said Ugandan boys don’t know what to do with their female colleagues. I beg to differ. What I saw…

SMOOTH AS SILK…

The first night out was dedicated to Silk. Right after paintball, (and after catching one-two at a kafunda) we headed for Silk. I must admit, I wasn’t ready for what I encountered.

First metal detectors, it’s like I was walking into a bank. Empty all the coins in your pocket, which were many (I felt like a slot machine). Then metal detector goes off, kumbe I forgot to dump my cell and keys. They do not have flimsy and ‘personal’ searches as the ones done in Kenya. This night we were like celebrity. I had thought only Kenyans like free booze, nope. This night happened to be the office party for WBS and Scanad people were there. We (the guys I was with) knew them so we got in saree and each got like eight beer vouchers. LET THE PARTY CONTINUE! Nilikunywa kama mjinga. And I danced like one too.

Before I over-indulged (I have a beer pot now), I noticed something I haven’t seen in a club in Nai yet. WALL TO WALL CARPETING! Kudos guys, your clubs are off the hook.

But…

Two things I must say, na wa-uganda msiniue. Just prove me wrong. Your DJs suck. To high heaven. Not once in that club did I dance to two consecutive songs, but I did sit down for two and more.

And the other thing, Ugandans are stiff like that stiff drink Ichiena proposed (sijui kuweka link). Never once did I see anyone who could dance (I should have looked in the mirror). The guys, were busy trying to forcibly dance with chicks (just like huku home) and the chicks were, well, rolling around like timber from a truck that had lost control.

Okay, it wasn’t thaaaaaat bad, I wasn’t that great either, but they were nowhere near great. Where are the dancers bana? (some did come out of the woodwork on new year’s day)

Meanwhile, the Ugandan we were with was busy darting chicks. All chicks. Yaani any chick who passed by was grabbed and was darted. Well, he had a high strike out record. But once or twice he did hit home-runs. (On another night, he tried chatting up Kenyan chicks who came a-visiting, lakini we all know how ngumu Kenyan chicks are. Okay, he had lousy vibe, one of the chicks whom I knew confided in me.)

I’m amused, the smoking section at Silk is called Oxygen.

We stayed there a while and headed for…


ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH!


Rock Garden! Now how do I describe this place? Hmm. Let’s see. F2, F1, Pango, eh. The guys introduced it to me as the F2 of Ug. All along I had thought Silk looked like F2. But this now had the people of F2. What’s the politically-correct name? Enter-tainment pro-fessionals? Commercial sex workers? Dispensers of favours you wouldn’t ask of your wife? Argh, THIS, was hoochie land. And they came in all shapes and sizes from different locations. Mostly Rwanda and Burundi.

(This is where I bumped into one of God’s rejects wearing man’s greatest inventions. The wonder bra. She wasn’t ati the greatest creation. Hell no. She must have been those ones that are thrown out and dumped at the back of a factory. Lakini, she was wearing this wonder-bra that gave her…well y’all know what. Lakini kumbe huko chini (don’t ask how I knew) bana, flat chested is better coz at least you are dealing with something that never was. But here, hers were like used airbags. Even a breast-feeding kid would ask for a refund. Hamna pumz.)

Evidently, I didn’t stay long. And then, incidentally while on our way out I bumped into a better creation. But the earlier one had traumatized me so much that all I could say was “hi and bye”.

Rock Garden also packed in a crowd. There was no room to dance well or otherwise on that floor, not that the Ugandans cared. Hehe. Okay, I’ll stop dissing your dancing.

STAKING OUT…

Another nice joint in Kampala is Steak Out. Interesting. It’s got this buffet park kind of feel. TO ME! I’ve been known to make lousy judgments. Look at my digs. Look at my choice of conveyance. Look, I’m single because…

Anyway, now here I find much more decent music. But there’s bila dance floor as such. Guys dance where they feel. Speaking of dancing, there is a show of improvement (all isn’t lost). My boy, the Ugandan, is on a roll. He’s chatting up chicks left, right and centre. At one point he actually pulls a chick towards him and starts unleashing hot vibe. Only problem is, he already has another mama he’s chatting up but he had forgotten. Chick number one flees, leaving behind words I dare not print (Fucking bastard guy).

Right next to us is this chick that’s fly and looks like she can groove. She’s cast the line (her shapely body) with the bait (eish, the assets) and the waters are right (music is timam), shortly fish is hooked (yours truly). I reel myself in. I start the chat up. She’s ingianaring. I’m thrilled. I give my boys a thumbs up, then, THEN, the line snaps. She’s from Kenya. Banaaaa! I didn’t cross Malaba border and get stared down by a cop and I didn’t risk my arse at paintball just to come all this way to talk to someone I can easily find in Nai. A Kenyan. The only time it isn’t thrilling to meet up with a local person in a foreign land is when you want to taste the foreign produce.

I was upset. Yaani, I risked and unleashed the smoothest lyrics I had saved up for Ugandans just to hook a Kenyan? I was tired. I was bored, but I continued entertaining myself with her while I cast my fishing line elsewhere. Of course, a fishing line can only get one fish at a time, so……

She was a wild and crazy one though. She’s from coast (Mombasa) and studying in Ug. Apparently, she had weed (which I so wanted). She promised she’d call the next day and we’d smoke like chimneys on a cold winter’s night. This chick, like most Kenyan chicks, was just downing her pint like water. I knew why. She confessed that she’s done ‘unga’ (coke, for the dandas) and other shait! before. I trembled in my open shoes. I only wanted a puff (many puffs) of weed.

Night turned out interesting though, her friend was into my friend and he was so sure amepata ka-take-away. Shock on his bums. The chicks hepad into the night. But my boy wasn’t bothered. He had plan B.

Who also hepad. Time for plan C.

Hepad. Unleash plan D, E, F. Hepad. Hepad. Hepad.

I, who only had a plan A (I never carry the whole drawing board) was just amused and jazzed. He was so pissed that he wanted to now buy pint like crazy. But the time was against us. It was 5. So as we were leaving he spots plan G. And yap, she hepad too. By this time I was laughing my silly drunken head off. I was laughing coz of two things. He’s never encountered a dry night before. And two, I had never seen a guy with so many plans before.


A MYSTICAL NIGHT.


The club that had me in awe was Ange Noir/Ange Mystique. Dudes, and dudelettes, three or more floors of again, wall-to-wall carpeted boogie-floors. Of course I never got to see Mystique coz I was inappropriately dressed in a tee-shirt. Bloody bouncer. I have just paid sijui 10-12k to ingia and anyway, this is my hottest tee-shirt (if you ignore the Dettol logo). The nerve.

Twendeni.

So we while away at Ange Noir. The place is kicking. It has dance floors all over. I like the concept. They have dance spots all over that look like boxing rings. Okay, that’s me and my drunken judgment again. Man, these guys know how to invest. Lakini, why don’t they invest in DJs. Like I said Ugandans don’t mind. By this time I was feeling more Ugandan than a Ugandan, Ssebo! So as they say, while in Rome…yap, so I was in the groove before you could say Tusker baridi. (huku hamna Tusker ya kawaida. Ni Malt and it’s called just plain Tusker. Sema “Malt” na watakuangalia ni kama wewe ni pastor kwa bar. And it’s always served cold. Sio kama huku ni lazima useme baridi ama moto ama warm.)

I had a blast here. I also almost scored. Lakini I was having a spell of bad luck I tell you. I think my ‘chick’ in Nai had paid Bakari the witchdoctor a courtesy call. She must have unleashed some charm on me. Kila dame naongelesha ni ukuta. Sawa tu. So my fun was restricted to just dancing with fly chicks. And the dick, sorry, buck stopped there.

AND THE VERDICT IS IN!

Ugandans know how to party. Again I’ll say, Ugandans like drinking, but Kenyans are drunkards. You know, never once did I encounter a staggering guy. Not once. Was I that drunk myself? Walevi hawaonani.

As for the clubs, they get top marks. Ange Noir, Silk top the billing. The others are just drink up joints. The Fat Boys, the Steak Outs, The Al’s bars and another which I can’t seem to remember the name (must have drank the most there). It’s no surprise that I went out every single night of my stay there. Every single night. Only two nights I didn’t go out. One, when my pal was dehydrated and the second night was on 2nd, coz I was traveling back.

Interesting also, never once did I rock home stinking of cigarettes (just cheap perfume, kama Kenya tu). Ugandans either don’t smoke much or the no smoking in public places has hit home. I’m trying to imagine, five minutes, FIVE, in ka-choi and I’ll be stinking of every cigarette from Rooster to B&H.

Plus, hawana Kenchic. I’m used to going home with a kuku quarter or a ka-choi burger. In Ug, it’s rollex and chicken fry over at Wandegeya.

All in all I enjoyed clubbing in Ug and I’ll be back to chafua. And no I didn’t hook up with a Ugandan chick. I already have enough problems domestically I don’t want international problems. (not with Tuju as the foreign affairs guy)

P.S. Roho safi, pictures will be seen them in Feb. Saa hii nimesota. Si mnaelewa Jan wasee?

22 Comments:

  • At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just so we're clear...I saw it first!!!!

     
  • At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Where are akina Cherri,Iwaya, Baz, CB yani the crew!! Am dying to hear the response...
    Don have descent djS and seriously need movement surgery? Hihihi!!
    "Does the defendant have anything to say??"...
    BTW mlibondana na Iwaya?

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, my guy. This brought back some major memories. And your description was so apt! Yep, UG clubs are a step ahead. Did you notice there's a different dressing codes - yaani the mamas dress up (as opposed to our staple jeans) and then there's a silent curfew - clubs clear early (ama you were too drunk to notice!)

    True - the DJs need extra classes. And you dont see drunkards in clubs.

    Lakini Modo, hii mambo ya kustrike out! Probably effect of hanging out with your pal with Plans A-H! LOL!

    Oh, na hiyo mambo ya link - tuonane one of these days, sawa?

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Baz said…

    Man, I was laughing my ass off reading this. Bantutu, I can't corroborate on this as I have no life. But it sounds like fun.

    Actually I haven't clubbed in so long that I have forgotten what it is like.
    I do remember me and the boys discovering, at four in the morning, at Rock Garden, that we had only three K left. Plan? Hitch a ride to Wandegeya with some university guys, disappear into the slums and hammer kasese.

    You should have tried that. Tell that coke fiend from coast also.

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ha. fun read. seeing night life from a fresh perspective. havent done the night scene in a while either - u just gave me some incentive

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like you had the full mwenjoyos! I was in UG a few years back and I admit that their djs do suck bigtime! We need to export some of ours there, but they do have spiffy clubs; I'll give them that!
    I should go back next time I am in town!

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MODO! My guy it looks like you enjoyed yourself thoroughly! I can't believe I've never been to Kampala despite several invites from my mates at Uni. I should make a plan for this coming December.

    Ati your boy had plans A through to H? And they all gonganad? Woi pole. Tell him that old wise chinese man say "man who go to bed with stiff problem wake up with solution in hand!" go figure.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can see you had a ball hukos. The reason you struck out was hanging with the dude with extended plans. LOL. No international problems? I only wish there were, it would provide more fodder for posts! :-)

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger modoathii said…

    Bantuts, zii sikuwaiyana na iwaya. alikuwa ocha.

    ichiena, very true, ug mamas dress up. yaani, you appreciate the time she spends at the vanity glass.

    baz, the clubs are there staring at you bana, hit the rave. toa uzee.

    dante, pia wewe. jiru-shee!

    aco, mwenjoyos was my second name. there's a local (i mean kenyan) dj at steak out.

    archer, just amuka and go. don't think about it. you'll love the place. that chinese saying will come in handy soon. he's kujaing these sides and boy, he may be in for a du-ry spell. nitamnunulia glove ajikinge.

    aegeus, kuna vile if i had international 'interests' hii blog ingefungwa juu ya kujaa.

    did i tell y'all that siku amka na hangii ata siku moja? yes, i'm right now getting checked by the doctors. something's wrong. lakini nothing goes down in the morning after a rave like a cold sprite.

     
  • At 1:39 AM, Blogger Unyc said…

    Everytyme i read ur UG escapades, i want 2 go there like NOW!!!
    I should show those UG guys what dancing is all about...n i aint bragging.
    Anywho...ur pal should get sme darting classes coz damn, Plans A-H n they dont even get him a peck....lol...
    Lakini picha mpaka Feb, BLOGGERS, lets hold a harambee for Modo to get the pics up for us 2 drool or pyuk...hehee.
    My contribution is Uganda shillings 500.

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No hnagie even once yeah kuna shida ama it that their beer is wack? and to all those from UG am asking sio ati nasema? i second Unyc 500 ug bob hapa ama wacha i add another 500 those mbisha's i need to sorora. Ok and that pal of yours maybe he is my lost broda, coz me i alwasy like have plan A to Z of an escape lest i need it, me thinks i was a mwaizi in my other lifetime ;).

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *hangie * mwizi

     
  • At 6:00 AM, Blogger Iwaya said…

    you did not answer the most vital question here: are ugandan chicks hotter than kenyan chicks? at least from your optical nutrition since you decided not to fully put your game out? yeah, ugandan chicks are hotter? thank you.

     
  • At 6:13 AM, Blogger modoathii said…

    iwaya, having done the whole UTAKE tour, tz chicks are supuu, ug chicks are fly, but i wouldn't give anything to trade our kenyan mamas. they have that....i can't describe it until you mingle with them.

    unyc and don, kuna vile hiyo amount yenu inamiss one zero. mi si mwizi wa hangie, hangie just doesn't like henging out with me. ni kama tu yule dream gal, you wake up in the morning and realise she isn't there.

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Iwaya said…

    you're being the diplomat, Modoathii!

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    very funny descriptions of the drunken adventures in UG...I have to hit Kampala one of these fine holidays.
    i hope you have recovered enough to post evidence

     
  • At 2:56 AM, Blogger Milonare said…

    ROTFL

    Ati saving vybes cos you discovered the dem was kenyan LOL

    I miss Ange Noir, Silk and Rock Garden...

    Did you notice the sign outside the ladies loo at Rock Garden that says "watch your rear" or something like that? Them Ugandan Kabatis are huge a guy!!!

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Klara said…

    @Ichiena
    Wacha matusi bana! U know what happens when we try 2 dress up...The City Council, Mungiki, The disgusted paros stares..bla blah...
    @Modoathi
    This Post 4 real had me rollin down,So funny n captivating

     
  • At 7:10 AM, Blogger Klara said…

    @Ichiena
    Wacha matusi bana! U know what happens when we try 2 dress up...The City Council, Mungiki, The disgusted paros stares..bla blah...
    @Modoathi
    This Post 4 real had me rollin down,So funny n captivating

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I cant stop laughin...:D
    But I can't imagine a Kenyan club with wall to wall carpet and all drunkards fallin their glasses half full with beer and breakin beer bottles....
    Sucky DJs??..No wonder the stiff dancin..and your pal with A - H plans!!
    I loved it.. I felt like I was there...
    @Ichiena Klara anasema ukweli juu ya jeans.. We cant risk no more, tena easy to rewind and go unnoticed..save water and soap

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger modoathii said…

    iwaya, i have to be.

    3n, i will recover in feb. and the evidence will be posted. i have to warn you, i was constantly influenced...or rather under it.

    milonare, now what would i be doing in the ladies? but that's hilarious. huge is an understatement. karibu.

    klara, by the way, when iwaya says they dress up sio ati mungiki tastes are compromised, never. they look like they are going for dinner kumbe ni haree.

    sue, yep, i've seen many a lady with the same dress as the night before. but siwezi complain kuna vile i also do the same thing. (this weekend)

     
  • At 2:04 AM, Blogger gishungwa said…

    Aki now am Kla sick huh! I need a shot of Kla. wa wa wa then buy sambucca at shop riti at eq. kshs.500
    and the waragi LOL. aki kla must be back...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home