the couch

becoz it all becomes clear here!

Monday, January 08, 2007

TRIPPING!

“I’ve had enough. This is too much!” screamed the lady next to me in the Scandi.

And I agreed with her. I never knew but we don’t have a road after Nakuru. It was such a bumpy ride that at one point I was so sure we were cruising through people’s shambas. Not to mention I was seated where, the back seat. Yep! That was my riding style to Ug. Back right on a Scandi.

How you ask did I end up on an enviable seat like this? Here’s my story.

Me, being the Kenyan that I am of course went to book a bus at the last minute…bana, there’s more adrenaline rush that way (watch Crank). So I rock up and I find this gorgeous looking lady at the counter. By the way, when in need of last minute favors everybody is gorgeous, and you must let them know otherwise you’ll be on the hell ride. The bus was fully booked but this ‘gorgeous’ lady managed to get me space, not a seat, space. As for where I was to seat…

“Come at 11.30 jioni and we’ll allocate you your seat number.”

Scary. Eleven thirty clocked and I am there like Phileas Fogg with a bag that makes me look like a backpacker and an extra bag that’s carrying the camera, which was to take many, and I mean many, incriminating pictures.

The bus isn’t there yet, so we wait.

We wait.

And wait.

And wait.

I get up to go looking for my traveling drink. A vodoski cocktail cleverly disguised in a Keringet or Aquamist PET bottle (not Dasani). I must have flunked in camouflage class coz how do you pretend you’re drinking fresh mineral water when clearly it looks like coca cola? I always forget that I need to mix it with Sprite.

I come back and continue the wait.

And wait I continue.

And while waiting we watch a 1990 Man U game sijui on which channel.

Finally. The bus rocks in. We learn that the bus was actually coming from Dar. Now they tell us. Scandi? Na ni nyinyi mlisema nisiende na Akamba. Now see.

I board and get my seat number. Number 46. Now in other buses, seat 46 is somewhere in the middle. I smile. Not for long. I discover on Scandi the seat is huko nyuma. Nyuma. Nyuma kabisa. And much to my dismay I discover the seat can’t lean back. Meaning I’ll be sitting like a student all the way to UG. But, afadhali mimi. One passenger discovers his seat is both number 43 and 44. So it’s a 1st come first serve seat. And number 44 checked in first. Number 43, ended up sitting on number 45, next to me. In the confusion the original number 45 passenger is left behind. Scandi?

After much back and forth, we are finally off at 1.30 in the a.m. two hours late.

Nothing much happens on the dark ride to the border other than the moans and groans (no, not those ones) from the disgruntled lady next to me. She’s Ugandan and she’s making my day. Suddenly, we pass Nakuru and we say bye to the road. This must be a guy’s shakee. Someone I’m talking on the phone with assures me that we are lost. I check out the window and I see a cow and chickens. And for a minute i believe we may be lost.

Yaani, the road is so rough I feel every pothole and its relatives. Wote. The sufuria-holes, plate-holes, pan-holes, the works. It’s hard to imagine but we got so used to the road that we actually slept (I’m ashamed to say I drooled on the UG mama. But since I woke before her I was able to convince her it was a bird).

After what felt like 69 hours, we made it to the border, shaken but not stirred.

Malaba was another story. Me, and this lady, number 45, potead. But first at the Kenyan post, there was this cop who was eyeing me suspiciously all the way. I was in the queue behind like 5 other people but not once did his eyes leave me. He was stamping guys’ passports on auto. He wasn’t checking them, just me and suspiciously. When I finally reached him, he scrutinized my passport, page by page. Which is weird considering I have a temporary passport. It’s a one leaf affair.

After getting our PPs stamped by the Kenyan cops we started the long walk to UG. Man, no man’s land is so huge. Me, and number 45 wandered into the town in Uganda side before we realized we were on the wrong side of the fence. And without proper authority. We had to walk back. We then entered the immigration area but again we found ourselves among the trucks. Lost. We had to go back again. Finally we got to where we were meant to be. Malaba post is huge, but I must say the Ugandan side is so organized. I was impressed. Kenyans wake up.

And all the way from Malaba through Jinja (Owen Falls Dam) to Kampala, I saw the most beautiful landscapes and forests i had ever seen. Plus a few relatives (if you believe in Darwin).

But the moment we rocked into Kampala, the image of a clean, organized Kampala that I had cultivated in my head vanished faster than the boda boda I saw carrying two huge mamas.

The potholes.

The jam.

The mayhem. What was going on here?

Everyone was on any side of the road. Traffic that was going up had a car going the other way. The bodabodas were zooming past in all directions like busted ants. For an inkling of five seconds, I was traumatized. But all in all…I WAS IN KAMPALA! I had seen worse during Nairobi’s shame days so I recovered quickly. But…I WAS IN KAMPALA!

And the ladies? WOOOOOOOWIIIIIIIIII! (Did I mention I got a little naughty on the bus and started clicking away at fly chicks traveling with me?)

The bus checked into home base and my boy came to pick me up…and began the first adventure…

14 Comments:

  • At 2:38 AM, Blogger egm said…

    Hizo picha utatuonyesha? It's been ages since I was in UG, and it would be great to see what it's like now.

    Pole for the Scandi from Hell bus ride.

     
  • At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL...what a trip!!!

    I am with egm...where are the pics?

     
  • At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hehe!! Si nilikwambia utegee Akamba!! Hehehe!! Back straight like a student eh? Never ventured to Museveni's domain...maybe its because I never..."Xcuses! xcuses! Zip it bantu!" tutaenda nesKt timU na akina Aegeus na Unyc...
    No. forrie 5(Aegeus how was that?) was how ki-maumbile...Yani ili les go sanifu... piga taswira isiyo na mushkili!!
    Ei numba 3!! Noma!!

     
  • At 3:33 AM, Blogger Kenyanchick said…

    I don't think there's ANY bus that goes to UG that is worth the hassle.

    I'll never forget one time when we left 3 hours late, I'd come straight from F2, and this mama in front of me was eating boiled eggs...

    It's still too painful, I can't go on..

     
  • At 5:02 AM, Blogger Iwaya said…

    even WE find our ladies sometimes too hot to handle!

    the potholes are gone now, i swear, CHOGM is coming and we are covering them up faster than a kid picks nsenene. you did eat our delicacy of roasted grasshoppers i hope, didn't you? Man, they let you take pictures up in that bus, those guys must have been alsleep! we have a fashion street in kampala where you can come and watch the catwalk ugandan style it will leave you breathless! Baz hinted at this in some entry on his other blog www.tumbavu.blogspot.com

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Blogger modoathii said…

    eish, iwaya, there's a ug dude we were hanging out with who had no problem (mis)handling them ladies. potholes gone? i'd have to come back and see. and i will.

    egm, mocha, picha nitaorganise. kodak moments lazima zipigwe ma-kuscaniwa...etc

    bantuts, forrey fai, was a mithe...rough guess, ten kids. sike...she was way out of my age bracket.

    KC, usiendelee tafadhali. LOL. i know the feeling.

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Where are the pictures? Ati Kampala guys drive worse than us, is that actually possible? This one killed! Boss on my case on the phone, me laughing my head off while muting the handset. Potholes have relatives, now i have heard everything!

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Loved the story. Laughed myself silly.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Princess said…

    You are such a clown!! I have read so may hilarious blogs today!! Look forward to the pics!!

     
  • At 12:58 AM, Blogger Unyc said…

    We told u 2 go with Regional ukalenga...at least i'll never travel with u near me lest u drool on me like u did........lol....
    Am secondin that we need photos...they speak a thousand words n we r glad 2 interpret the kodak moments....ama niaje wasee?

    Ichiena n I tunaplan kuenda huko around May...hatumind company (wink)so any1 interested.....

     
  • At 4:45 AM, Blogger modoathii said…

    if the first roll i developed is anything to go by, then we are in for a rude shock. apparently what you see through the looking glass isn't what is seen by the film...goodness. trial two kesho.

    kuna vile i'm toying with the idea of coming with you all. besides, you'll need a tour guide.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You guy, Kicheko!!! That's a funny story.

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lol. Haven't been to UG yet. Are the potholes are as bad what we have in some of our roads in TZ?

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger modoathii said…

    watanzania mpo? karibu. karibu. tanzania hamna potholes mbaya kama za uganda. nilikuwa dar na nilipenda barabara zenu...eish. tamu nakuambia.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home