the couch

becoz it all becomes clear here!

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Commercial break! From the archives. A drink to die for

It’s late in the afternoon, our hero here has been running his skinny legs off in the hood with other little brats in the hot sun. He rocks in home thirsty. He knows he can only quench his thirst with the waters from kanjo. (This was way before maji of nai became mud of nai. Hakukuwa na keringet hizo enzi. Kwanza mwenyewe sidhani alikuwa amezaliwa)

So anyway, chemical formula H20 is the only thing available. Juice (Treetop or otherwise) never existed in our house. We only saw that coloured commodity when we went a-visiting or when visitors came home (I never needed to be told twice this statement “modo, run and buy juice”).

I walk in and check the fridge. Don’t know why. I already know all I’ll find is nothing more than bags upon bags of boiled githeri waiting to be unleashed for the next 15 suppers and lunches. I also know I’ll find the occasional nyake and fathe’s soup in a twisted old juice plastic bottle (compe ya Treetop). Twisted, because my fathe had this habit of putting hot soup in jerricans and replacing the cap before it can cool. Of course, laws of physics would apply much to the chagrin of my mum. (Hizi juice bottle lakini zilikuwa zinatoka wapi? SHUVAAA NA NDEVEEE! [remember this homie?] Hmm!)

As I lazily browse through the contents of the fridge I notice another juice bottle. This one isn’t twisted (like Wambui’s, a chick of mtaani mzushi, knickers) and like the one next to it with fathe’s liquid gold. In fact the contents don’t even look anything like soup.

Could it be? Oh boy, it is.

JUICE!

My heart beats at 144 beats per half second in excitement. I close the fridge door quickly and open again sloooooowly, thinking perhaps I saw my own things. I breath hard. I open the door. Heavenly music plays. A glow of light (it’s only the fridge-light, lakini…) YES, it’s still there.

I listen for any movement. Nothing stirs. I know mathe is upstairs asleep so I must be quick. If I’m busted, I’ll be caned close to high heaven with a stick I’ll be forced to go get myself.

I quickly dump the NCC waters in my glass.

James Bond music checks in.

I open the door stealthily. Sean Connery eat that. I grab the juice bottle, carefully, like in those movies with jewel thieves. I open the cap. Pssst! I cough to mask the noise. Palms are sweating. I listen for noises. Nothing. I then proceed to put a generous share of juice in my glass. I replace cap. (Cut me some slack. I was still a toi and anyway I was behaving like James Bond’s villains who never think far, I didn’t think the level would be noticed. Who cared? So long as nimekunywa juo. I’ll be beaten while happy)

I return the bottle pale pale. I even wipe away the fingerprints (CSI Nairobi, eat shit).

I then bound outside and for five seconds admire the drink in my hand. Any second longer and you never know who will pop in.

I smack my lips.

I then proceed to take the hugest sip (if I’m busted at least I’ll have onjad like half)

Here I am readying my taste buds for the sweet sensation that is about to follo__

WHAT THE FUCK! (ok, I didn’t say “fuck” coz those days it was punishable by death with the cane/belt)

PTUUUUUUUUUU!

I spat out that s**t faster than I had gulped it. What crap is this?

I then remember my mathe’s words. (I’ll translate coz not everyone will understand the tongue spoken…mother tongue…hehe)

“No one should touch my mwarubaini drink.”

It repeats itself in my head.

“No one should touch my mwarubaini drink.”

“No one should touch my mwarubaini drink.”

“No one should touch my mwarubaini drink.”

My mathe had the night before boiled some mwarubaini (neem) leaves given to her (by some herbalist) because of her sickness and her well-being. Goodness gracious.

YEEECH!

My head spins but I can’t faint (it’s a health-drink)

I wash my mouth with water. Nothing. Soap. A bit of hope. OMO. Now that removed all the madoadoa.

THAT, was the worst drink I had ever tasted in MY LIFE! YEECH!

Wachana na kina sijui drink gani mnaita health drink, that one could kill anything creepy, crawly and unwanted in your body. One sip, kwisha.

I was through with taking coloured drinks not served at neighbours’ houses or in the presence of visitors.

16 Comments:

  • At 3:10 AM, Blogger Komi said…

    Poor thing. That drink tastes like the stuff you bring up when you have malaria! My dad made me take a sip once-never again.

     
  • At 3:22 AM, Blogger Uaridi said…

    Oh poor baby!!! (hahaha, tears rolling down my face hahahaha!!!)

    Yes it is an evil tasting drink needing honey, sugar and a drop of something to make it drinkable.

    But but boy does it do wonders for my aches and pains.

     
  • At 4:00 AM, Blogger Unyc said…

    Lol....i kumbuka treetop. Enyewe Juice was a very rare comodity kama Chapo (DQ)...Na wewe u were takin Juo bila diluting...at least ungedilute hiyo herbs ulikunywa haingekuwa kali.

    That stuff called herbal drinks is disgusting. Vile my mathe is a believer n she always has that stuff 2 take everyday. Living healthy my foot...its worse than sniffin socks that hv been won for a week! I dont eat nyama so my grandma decided 2 do me a favour n brng sme herbal stuff to take...
    Wah! Ulimi na mdomo zikadivorce hapo hapo 4 an hr. plus hose pipe kaw mdomo washin out that YUCKY taste which dint work...
    Nilihv kumanga shuge...

     
  • At 6:54 AM, Blogger modoathii said…

    unyc, kuna vile i was too excited to even dilute it. plus it had been a while since i had fixed juo sikukumbuka ina-dilutiwa.

    uaridi, yaani, you'll need a full hive and a bee constantly making honey as you sip to make it sweet.

    sikudanganyi, it works wonders medically. lakini wacha niumwe nakuambia.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger bomseh said…

    i'm not saying mwarubaini is sweeter than chloroquin. i'm just saying it is better and cheaper. my experience,hhmmm, i the gulp went straight to the throat. there was no spitting it out coz cucu was there and i had begged for it and she told had me that if i dared throw up or spit it out....u know those shags days.

    at present, u can not even force me to look at it. any injection is fine with me thank you.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Ichiena said…

    lol! Me i'm thinking of your mum's reaction when she realised someone had siphoned off her dawa....hehehe.

    Mwarubaini - i tell you all mothers swear by it, all children swear at it.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Don_quixote said…

    LMAO i so do feel you, i was a sickly kid so i have taken my fair share of herbal medicine that coupled withe the fact that i have morbid fear of tablets **my throat brings back any tembe that goes down its path*** i have taken also thsi other one that makes you say things DEARGODSPAREMYFUCKINGSOULBLOODYROTTINGHELLWHATTHEFUCKISTHIS!!!!! all in one breath btw. Now i go to teh hosi and i have no probs pullings my pants down ( i tried getting a shot in my arm but that is a story ya siku ngine)

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Princess said…

    I have never tasted this herbal remedy but it sounds pretty nasty!!!

    Ati you forgot that you have to dilute juice...QLM!!!

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Princess said…

    I have never tasted this herbal remedy but it sounds pretty nasty!!!

    Ati you forgot that you have to dilute juice...QLM!!!

     
  • At 2:46 AM, Blogger gishungwa said…

    i thought my ma's the only self confessed herbal doc. For coughs we got to drink raw egg with magadi yuk but with slipper in hand you swallowed it. Mwarubaini and the nettle better known as thavai dayum it takes like crap. POle my dear i can relate.

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Sue said…

    Eeeh...treetop ilikua rare kama chipo..once a year...
    Alafu sijui kwanini mapero wameadore hizi ma dawa zinaonja sijui ka nini...
    You take it and your mouth stinks for 2 weeks continously plus the loo after you...
    Am still grimacing at the thought...
    @gishungwa..I think raw eggs was too far...
    Lakini ilisaidia kuboost immunity i think... coz ukicheki wenye hawakuzikunywa wako weak sana na immunity yao...

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the walk in the past. Never did see a fridge till i bought myself one then the fascination to put everything into it.....one day found the remote.... that is a post for another day. My mum swore by that stuff, she stood over your with dad's belt to ensure you finished your glass completely, no honey or sugar!

    Tree Top Tree top...good times. I remember stealing some and topping up with water so the CSI level, wiped down more to remove spillage, fingerprints ghitu gani? Since tulikuwa wengi, soon you could drink it bila dilution! We were all walloped to an inch of our lives when a mgeni was served extremely dilute Tree Top, tihiii! Truly worth it! ROTFL

    Why dilute it? Full strength juo it its, still forget occasionally, the sugar high! You can guess what i did when i saw the post, straight to the fridge for a hit!

    LOL at ichiena, all kids swear at it?

    Gishungwa, sweetheart, i was wondering what happened to those 3 year old eggs that were decorating my fridge! LOL That is nasty!

    oops, i should go post on my own blog, sorry Modo. :-)

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Acolyte said…

    Bwehehehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!! You have made my day!

     
  • At 5:04 AM, Blogger Iwaya said…

    we're on the same page with lips on different glasses!

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger mama shady said…

    hihihih!talk about a mission that went wrong!men, served you right, these are good ways to teach kids lessons!its good we were not given the stuff as kids, my parents swore by cod liver oil...thinking about it makes me want to..think about other things

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger bantutu said…

    Nilisomea ii samo maskan, niliwanga na sample kahawa...Nakwambia izzo line zako zilinifanya defile screen yangu na combi ya mate-na io liquid...Ei bana! CSI Nairobi eat shit!Hehehe!
    Cucu yangu aliwanga anaboil mwarubaine alafu aniweka kwa karai alafu anatushoo ati tupige magoti around karae alafu tunafunikwa na kiblanketi...nakwambia!! Sauna ya ugaibuni!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home